1.04 - Do It For Her

- Boron - 

"So I'm the referee, I guess." Yttrium speaks as we enter the clearing. I hear a slight hoarseness in their throat, and they appear to have less energy than they normally do. "Do I just...say when it starts, decide who the winner is, all of that? Make sure you two don't kill each other?" 

"Indeed," I say, straightening out my attire for once. "Unless you don't wish to do so. You seem a bit tired, even by my standards."

"Nah, nah. Just got a bit tuckered out looking for you earlier, mister sleepyhead." 

"Don't call me that. Please." I huff.  "Besides that, where did you put my spear?"

Yttrium ponders for a moment, before pulling their arm behind their back. Although they aren’t wearing any sort of bag, or even pockets, I hear them tinkering around as though they had an entire assortment of things with them. They sigh in relief as they pull out my spear from thin air, throwing it to me. I'm barely able to catch it due to my pure confusion. 

"W...Where did this come from?" Indeed, It was my spear. I can see the faded look of it, all of the old scars and wear from use. This wasn't some sort of magic trick, was it? 

"It came from where I store my bombs."

"...And where do you keep those?"

They wink at me, chuckling a bit in amusement. Not another word is said, no further clarification. I can only assume I had been thoroughly tricked, and sigh in frustration as they change their attention to Sulfur.  

"How about you, are you ready? Gonna shoot up this old guy?" They teased. Sulfur, who was tightening her boots, stuck her tongue out at them like some strange sassy child.

"Sulfur isn't going to shoot him!" She proclaimed. "Bringing a bow to a spear fight is just unfair. She's all about justice, and fairness, and only the fun kind of violence!"

It was then when I noticed that she had put her bow and quaver to the wayside. 

"She is going to fight using only her muscles."

"A-Alright, works for me!"

As I suppress a snicker from Yttrium's intimidated expression, I ever so slightly brandish my spear. I could not deny how good it felt in my hands...I felt as though I was an old machine who had been turned on after laying dormant for years on end. An almost burning feeling was spreading in my chest that, for once, wasn't painful. What was this called? Excitement? Adrenaline? It had been so long that I couldn't put a name to it. 

And yet, I could feel dormant memories resurface as I looked into Sulfur's vibrant blue eyes, which glittered in the morning light. She was as determined as ever; I was almost envious of how much excitement she had. 

"Sulfur's ready!...Are you?" She teased me, flexing her hand muscles as though she was a cat unsheathing her claws. 

I take a deep breath. Holding my spear in its defensive stance, I nod.

"Okay, rules are simple! No killing each other, and when the opponent says to stop, you win! Got it?"

"Mhm!"

"Understood."

"Then, let me, the best referee in the land, commence this spar in 3...2..."

"...1!"

The moment the countdown ends Sulfur breezes across the field, coming at me with impressive speed. My rusty reflexes are almost too fast to combat her...but I am able to hold steady, using my spear like a barrier between her and myself.

What I neglected to account for was my legs, which are easily swept from under me by Sulfur's offensive assault. As I fall to the floor, thankfully keeping my spear firmly in my grip, she puts a foot over my chest. I could feel my core buzzing inside of me as she smirks.

"Back where Sulfur grew up, nobody liked when she fought this way."

"Huff...why could that be?" I said, before catching her off-guard with a push from both of my legs. She stumbles backwards with a gasp as I stand back up, pointing my spear at her. 

"Seems to be working quite well for you."

I thrust forward, my spear stabbing straight through Sulfur's arm. She recoils and grits her teeth as I pull it out again, leaving a messy hole where I had pierced her.

Fortunately it's a small injury, minuscule in fact. The stab quickly recedes as her body regenerates the lost tissue, and she strikes me with her claws right across the face. 

"They always compared her to the Sulfur that you knew. They said she had to use the bow, cause she was better with it. So she left, and lived here to become stronger in her own way!"

I am pushed back, feeling the blood on my face trickle down. It doesn't bother me. I don't know why, but I don't feel an ounce of pain like I normally do.

"Expectations...how unfortunate." I spoke, striking back at her as though the end of my spear was a baseball bat. She doesn't even flinch as she grabs the spearhead with her hand, stopping it in its tracks, even ignoring the small cuts it gives her. 

...I'm not even mad. In fact, while I don't realize it at the moment, I even crack a small grin. 

"But I must admit, you have that fire about you that she had back then...though I don't think even she would pull off some of the stunts you've shown me."

She rips the spear right out of my hands, holding it as though it's her own. Defenseless, I'm unable to react in time to her stabbing me in the side, before practically body-slamming me onto the ground. While the injuries of the assault heal quickly, the pain still lingers. My breath is taken away as she lies on top of me, knowing she's won. 

 "Hah...Hah..." I breathe heavily, coughing a bit. "Fine, fine, I give...you win." 

...She gets off of me, standing above me like a tree above the world. 

And then, she bends down, giggling as she offers me her hand.

"Bwahah~! You're so cool, Boron! Sulfur knew you were a hero after all!" 

As I slowly regained my composure, I sit up to take her hand. Staring at her shining, enthusiastic face, I find that I still can't shake a certain feeling from my chest. It's not a dull sort of feeling, or one of annoyance and dread...I know I have felt it before, but It's been so long I cannot find it's name.

I am brought back onto my feet as I hear Yttrium clapping with both of their oversized sleeves. "Congratulations, Boron! You lost!"

"Thank you. I appreciate you telling me that." I reply, making Sulfur chirp in amusement.

"Sulfur thinks that you and her should spar again soon, so she can see more of what you can do!" She says, putting her arm around me as though she's known me for years. Normally, I hate being touched...and I still do. But this elemental is special to me. She is a living legacy of something I thought was lost, and I don't think I could shake her off now. It would hurt my faded soul if I were to upset her...and yet, I fear doing so some other way. 

As that fearful thought blooms in the back of my mind, I remember why we came out here in the first place. "Ah," I say. "I believe that the next battle can't be so soon. Me and Yttrium have to keep moving."

She takes her arm off of me, now wearing a look of pondering on her face. "Oh right....ah!" She looks like a light-bulb just went off above her head. "Well why can't Sulfur come with you? She doesn't like...what was it called again...kidnapping! She doesn't like kidnapping, even though she hasn't been kidnapped before. She can totally help!"

The thought of Sulfur going with us hits me for the first time. At first, I found delight in the notion. She would stay by my side, and perhaps, this feeling I've unlocked won't burn away again. 

...But if she did come along, wouldn't she be in danger? 

I didn't consider the dangers that came with getting involved with...well...kidnappers. Especially ones that apparently have been attacking people, if the few times I could make out what Yttrium told me yesterday serves me well. Would she become a target? I didn't doubt her strength, but I can't help but worry. I don't even worry for myself, as the thought of danger didn't even cross my mind before this moment. I don't care if I get hurt. What makes my mind burn like a wildfire is the thought of anyone else being hurt in my stead...

It is now I realize I had been so lost in thought that I hadn't said a word. Yttrium and Sulfur are just...staring at me, concerned. 

"...Boron?" Sulfur asks. "What's wrong?"

"I'm...worried. That's all. It's not exactly the safest journey to go on, dealing with a threat we don't know much about."

Sulfur seems almost offended at my comment. "And is Sulfur not strong enough to beat them down!? She knows its dangerous! But she lives for danger!"

I hear her words, but my anxiety cannot cease. I look to the side, entangled in my own conflicting thoughts.

...But then, I feel Sulfur put her hand on my shoulder. I turn my head, and look her in the eyes. 

"Boron..." She begins to speak. I can feel a tinge of softness in her voice, as though she understands a bit of my plight. Her tone nearly reminds me of her ancestor...during nights where she'd treat any of my injuries that our regeneration couldn't fix with ease. I'm able to calm myself down momentarily as she continues.

"Sulfur knows things can be scary...but Sulfur has always been forced into a box. Her village told her who she could and couldn't be. That's why she lives in the swamp in the first place!" She pauses, lifting out her hand to summon her bow and quiver back to her. She slides her quiver onto her back, and keeps her bow in her hand. 

 "She always wanted to show the world that she can be her own hero. That she can help everyone without having to live up to the past...she'll fight alongside you even when she can get hurt. That's what heroes are all about, right? Facing that fear?"

"...Yes,"  I reply. "I apologize, sincerely."

"Why so?" She tilts her head. "It's okay to be afraid, but Sulfur is more ready than ever! She'll help you beat those baddies to death, promise!"

I hear the fire in her voice. The passion in her words, the courage she possesses....and despite all of my fears, I know I can't douse that fire out. I lost that fire in me long ago, and I can't bring myself to share that pain. She doesn't deserve it...even if, one day, she is brought down, I will cherish her warmth until that day. 

It was then when I found a new meaning to this mission. It was not just to find my missing friend, but it was also to help the descendant of my lost companion achieve their dreams. Perhaps I couldn't achieve mine...but the least I can do is help her not meet the same fate.

"...You better sharpen your arrows then," I say, and I can see her eyes light up. "We need to get going."

Sulfur gives me a determined nod, pulling out an arrow from her quiver and loading her bow. "You got it, sir! Sulfur’s all ready!" 

"I suppose we can be on our way. Ready, Yttrium?"

I look over to see a slight bit of confusion on their face. But they then look at me, and give a casual nod. "Mm, yea. My dear friend's house isn't too far away. Just keep following the trail."

And so, we're off. We go through the thick shrubbery as we search for the trail...and I now remember how much I hate the muddy water of this place. That is a poison that will never change, no matter what I encounter. 

It didn't take long for us to find the path. But when Yttrium looked both ways, and then turned to us with a guilty expression, I could only assume the worst.

"I...forgot which way is which." They state. I facepalm in minor disappointment.

"Dammit, Yttrium." 

< Prev > - < Next >  

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Comments